Year 12 is over… you’re in the big kids pool now. There are a lot of changes to adjust to and a lot more coming. Use this list to help you know whether you need to dry your eyes (m8) or flip the bird to the world and find somewhere you’ll love study.
1. YOU INTENTIONALLY MISS/SABOTAGE THE TRAIN/BUS/TRAM EACH DAY.
2. YOU’RE PLAYING TOO MANY VIDEO GAMES (TO THE POINT WHERE MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING 3D DESIGN & ANIMATION).
3. YOU CAN'T FIND A DECENT CUP OF COFFEE ON CAMPUS.
4. YOU’VE STOPPED SETTING ALARMS IN THE MORNING (BECAUSE WHAT’S THE POINT?)
5. YOU’VE STARTED GETTING REALLY LOADED THE NIGHT BEFORE CLASS.
6. YOU’VE STARTED VISITING YOUR GRANDMOTHER AT HER NURSING HOME (WHICH NEVER DO NORMALLY) INSTEAD OF GOING TO CLASS (YOU’RE A BAD GRANDCHILD).
7. YOU HAVE TROUBLE ACCURATELY DESCRIBING JUST HOW UNBELIEVABLY LONG THE QUEUE FOR THE BOOKSTORE IS. AKA, YOU’RE BEGINNING TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR HECS DEBT.
8. YOU’VE BEGUN PLANNING A GAP YEAR. UH, IT’S ONLY WEEK 3.
9. AFTER TWO WEEKS OF SOCIOLOGY, YOU’VE STARTED DOCUMENTING CAMPUS TOILET GRAFFITI AS “RESEARCH”.
10. THE UNIVERSITY CENSUS DATE HAS ITS OWN ALARM ON YOUR PHONE.
If any of these things are happening to you, or if you find yourself under your bed crying every night in fear of what tomorrow’s class might bring (and there’s no shame in that), then you should probably just find a better place to study.
Choose something you’re passionate about; you should feel included in class and you should feel like whatever you’re studying will get you a job eventually.